Wood Science & Engineering
Field Trip Safety Guidelines
(rev Sept 2006)
Student safety is of the utmost importance to the Wood Science and Engineering Department, to the College of Forestry, to your instructor, and to the companies you will be visiting. The outlined safety precautions are to be followed without exception for the protection of you and your classmates.
- Your instructor will brief you on expected safety actions and equipment prior to each field trip. In some cases, a host company will also provide a safety briefing. Adhere to all company safety policies.
- It is impossible to pre-identify all hazards. Safety is everyone’s business by being alert to potential hazards, watching out for each other, and by using sound judgment.
- Follow instructions and be alert at all times. Observe posted danger signs. Refrain from touching equipment unless specifically authorized to do so. Keep out of the way of plant employees. Watch out for rolling stock when crossing mill yards and other open spaces. Stay with your group.
- Pay attention to the group leader. Their time is valuable and is being donated by a host company. They are also responsible for your safety while on company property. We want other classes to be allowed the same privileges you are enjoying. Courtesy, attentiveness, alertness and a professional attitude make a good impression—you may want to work for this company!
- You are expected to follow university and college policies for conduct on a field trip. When riding in a university vehicle you will wear a seat belt and maintain appropriate decorum as a representative of the university and department.
- Field trips to some locations require that you wear appropriate safety equipment. Your instructor will indicate what is required in advance of your field trip. Unless your instructor indicates otherwise, the following equipment will be worn at all times on field trips to manufacturing facilities.
- Hard hat
- Ear protection
- Closed-toe footwear with non-skid soles (leather preferred)
- Safety glasses or side shields for those with prescription glasses
- Orange safety vest
- Long pants